I've been wanting to try this ever since Saturday when I made a pizza like version at my parents' house. This was so much better... and counts as my new dairy/egg free recipe for this week. And it was so easy, Katie could do it!
These little creations are like a cross between an empanada and a muffin, hence the creative name I gave them, Easy empanada muffins. I was inspired to make them in muffin tins after bumping into the Cowgirl Chef on blogger and stumbling upon her recipe for eggplant, tomato and feta muffins. She is a texas native that lives in Paris, and her website features lots of mexican foods and Texas classics with "french twists."
All you need for this recipe is a filling of your choice and Pillsbury crescent rolls. I used left over taco meat (made with ground buffalo and a package of taco seasoning, a can of Rotel chopped tomatoes (drained) and a chopped onion), tomatoes, bell peppers, "tamed" jalapenos, left over sauteed onions, yellow squash (I know it doesn't sound like it belongs here, but it was a use-it-or-lose-it situation), and some salt and pepper. I chopped the veggies in my food processor and tossed them in a pan. When they were soft, I added the taco meat to warm it up. If there is alot of liquid in your mixture, you might want to cook it out.
I took the mixture off the heat and proceeded to the next step, but I think if you let the filling cool, it would work better. I've read a quick cooling tip in Cooking for Food Allergies Everyday and Gourmet: spread the mixture out flat on a plate and stick it in the freeze for 5 minutes before using.
I mixed in some real shredded cheese to a small amount of the mixture for Pres, but used Tofutti soy cream cheese for the majority of the filling. I used one large package (8 rolls) and one small package (4 rolls) of Pillsbury crescent rolls. Rather than separating the dough at the perforated marks, I pushed the perforations together with my finger and cut the dough into little squares.
I put about a tablespoon of the filling in the center of each square and roughly folder the corners up so they met in the center. I then put each empanada-muffin into the muffin pan, which I had spritzed lightly with olive oil.
I cooked them for ten minutes at 375 degrees. They were a little soft on top, so if you would like them more crispy, I guess you would cook them at a lower temp. for longer time...? However, I don't need to worry about that because I don't like things crispy!
Let them cool before removing from the pan, or they might fall apart. And there you go... easy goodness that can quickly switch between cheesy and dairy/egg free. If you leave out the meat or substitute tofu, it's vegan!
And you also have my first real recipe post, although I know I didn't really put a recipe on here. But that's just me. I'm not great with directions, and when you get them out of me, they are going to be of the East Texas turn-right-at-the-big-oak-tree sort. Naturally, it would be the same for a recipe.
3 comments:
These look so cool! And I love doing stuff with the Pillsbury doughs! Am definitely going to try something similar...although maybe later. (We just had tacos yesterday. Aye aye aye)
Thanks! Pres and I both liked them. Preston wants to try them with something sweet inside, like cherries.
You should blog about your zucchini boats! I am a follower of your "Quiero el Mundo" blog... is that the one you are using now? Like how I used spanish there?
Just wanted to let you know that we did this for dinner yesterday and it was awesome! Of course, mine didn't have taco meat, but John's did. I'm excited to try a pizza version and ratatouille version later!!!
Yes, I LOVE how you used spanish there! :)
I haven't updated that blog in a while but I will today. Usually I blog at www.xanga.com/mulleina. I think you can sign up for an RSS. I DO need to blog about food. I finally got my nice camera working again, so I've been taking pictures of everything. So, soon I'll have more stuff up. Soon...
Post a Comment