Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Lets get physical... no wait, I don't have time for that.

I've been practicing this week. Tae Kwon Do... tonight, I may earn my first little black stripe on my yellow belt that will eventually lead to a new, improved and more prosperous belt of a somewhat different color... and a slightly more badass Katie, just in general. I am very excited about this because this is the first step of progress I've made in Tae Kwon Do since I hurt my foot.

But as I walked to get my morning coffee, I remembered a conversation I had with a white belt in class on Monday. She was worried about passing the written test to earn her next belt. I advised her to sit down and read the few pages of information like it was a book. Take an interest in it. Make up tricks to remember the numbers, etc. Her, almost immediate, response was to list off her daily responsibilities and end with something like "there's just no time in between for me to do that."

I say bull honkie. Yes, Bull Honkie, because time is findable. Time is makable. It is there for the taking. It is up to each person how they want to spend it (because it's spendable too, and billable, according to my lawyer friends). What she should have said is "I just don't want to do that." She obviously had time to memorize her list of excuses because she ranted those off without hesitation.

Of course, I do know how that feels. I didn't even have time to walk while I was in graduate school, or at least that is what I told myself. I didn't do a drop of physical activity during that time. I also gained 60 pounds. Did I want to gain 60 pounds? No. I just didn't want to make time to take care of myself.

I'm dedicating today to those people that make the time to do the things they want, whatever it may be. Today, It seems like the most challenging thing about physical activity, and in my opinion the most admirable, is finding the time to do it.

2 comments:

Chrissy said...

This is very inspiring. It's amazing what you can do when you just do it. I'm doing fine with fitting in exercising right now, but naturally I have no time to work on writing. Grr. Thanks for the kick in the butt!

Stokat said...

Well, now I have to hang my head because I haven't written fiction since I submitted my short story. Thanks for reminding me!

Post a Comment