Friday, December 17, 2010

Flash Review: Eat, Pray, Love


I had the brave idea that Book Club could read Eat, Pray, Love and then go see it in the movie theaters.  Of course, this was a while ago, when the movie was still in theaters.  So we set a date, gave ourselves a few weeks and finally met for dinner one night, with designs to see the movie afterward. That was the plan.  However, when we got to the theater, the movie was no longer showing. They stopped showing it the night before.  Sometimes this happens when you live in a town where the movie theater only has six screens, a broken AC and rotting seats.  So instead, we went to the bar next door at the bowling alley and played two games of pool.  Yes, I realize that last sentence makes me sound very "southern."  

Eat, Prat, Love was a good title for this book.  It could also have been called Italy, India, Bali.  We watch this woman find herself in Italy, She gets really "depressy" in India and she lets lose in Bali.  We are happy for her in Italy, bored by her in India and cheering her on in Bali.  In fact, I suggest you skip India all together; the book will be much more enjoyable. I got stuck on that part for several months, and in the end, it just wasn't worth wading through.  Italy and Bali, on the other had––very enjoyable. I just got a chance to watch the movie at home. I sat down, thinking I would have an urge to fast forward through India on screen as well, but they buffed it up a bit and gave it a little more oomph.

Do you like the shortness and sweetness of this book review? It's a new Flash Review, which is much less intimidating than a full recap/opinion review. And the type of book reviews I'll be writing for the foreseeable future.

0 comments:

Post a Comment