Thursday, January 24, 2013

My baby eats better than me

He does. I make a lot of his food. Not in a crazy only home made organic baby food way, but yeah, okay it's mostly organic. All organic. The stuff I make is, because why not buy the good stuff if you're going to make it? But the other stuff doesn't have to be. I still consider myself not a food snob.

It's exciting to watch him eat, to feed him. To help him learn how to use a cup. Everything about him is exciting. And then I look up and it's 10 am, I've been up since 5 am and I've only had a cup of coffee with moderate fixings and I'm starving. Where are the cookies? Where are the sweets? Where's the candy? I don't have those?

You see, the thing about not having sweets in your house is that you don't have sweets in your house. I figure that if I want chocolate bad enough, then I can go to the store and get it. I always want it that much, but I am also too lazy to go anywhere except maybe the gas station down the street and that gas station doesn't have fresh candy because I guess no one in Nacogdoches buys gas station candy. And I am also picky.

Gluttonous, lazy and picky... Who wants to go on a date? Because I'm a catch.

Every once in a while, I'll have coco in the pantry left over from when I made fudge for some party / went on a fudge binge, and if the mood strikes, I can make something resembling chocolate. And if you microwave a banana, it tastes like pure sugar. And non fat Greek yogurt, or if I'm honest, the full fat Greek yogurt that I buy for Charlie, is really good with maple syrup. Usually though, I just pour myself some apple juice and eat a luna bar because that requires the least amount of effort.

Am I revealing too much?

Im not even talking about REAL food yet. Know what we eat for most meals? Sandwiches.

Preston's grandmother got us a panini maker for Christmas; know what we eat for most meals since Christmas?

Paninis.

I HAVE made waffles and French toast a few times lately, but it's because Im up and its for Charlie. Preston and I getting waffles and French toast is just collateral awesomeness.

I'm trying to cook more. I am. But it doesn't turn out well and I think it's because I've already steamed apples and pears, roasted butternut squash and baked sweet potatoes and then I just don't care what that recipe says about the chicken breasts so I'm gonna wing it.

It would be nice to be one of those moms that exist in TV shows and commercials, or in Parents magazine articles, that makes a meal in the evening and then somehow the baby eats the same thing as the parents. How the hell does that work? Do you just throw it all in the blender?

Maybe I should actually read Parents magazine instead of just looking at the pictures.







0 comments:

Post a Comment