Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Steamboat, CO - Trip Report



We spent our first afternoon in Steamboat scoping out restaurants and bars, coffee shops and stores along the main street. Our hotel, Hotel Bristol, was right downtown, so we could walk everywhere.


 We had a lazy day, which was okay because we were tired from traveling. That night, we grabbed a table near the big screen at the Tap House and watched the Mavs game.  


This was our first ski trip in about a year, which is normal, but it felt like five years. Thursday morning, we woke up, got dressed for skiing and caught the free shuttle to  the mountian. First mistake: I said hello to a cute little girl and she decided to talk to me for the whole ride, which would have been okay if her mother wasn't incessantly telling her to be quiet and to sit down and if she wasn't ignoring her mother in order to talk to me. She kept saying, "How are you doing, good?" That became mine and Preston's quote for the rest of the trip. 


This first morning was full of frustrating moments. We had to get our skis and boots, forgot to look at a map so didn't know where we were on the mountain, and then I realized that my boots were to wide, and when your ski boots don't fit, skiing is no fun. 


Not to mention that we skipped breakfast and the snow was whipping our faces so we couldn't see. 


We took a break for some clam chowder (great), chili and french fries, and then went down the mountian to get me new boots and a hot drink. 


This was also the first time either of us wore helmets while skiing, so it took some getting used to.


Afternoon skiing was much better, the sun was out, we could see and it had stopped snowing. It basically stayed this way for the rest of the weekend. 



This is also the day that I invented the "Wheee" method of skiing. Every time you turn, you say "Wheee." It keeps you breathing and by the time you have to say wheee again, it's also time to turn. You've been so busy saying wheee that you didn't have time to freak out about the turning part, which is what I do. And no, you don't sound silly, you sound like you're having fun, because your saying "Wheee, wheee, wheee!"


Most of the ski days were amazing. We started early, around 9am, and were at the base of the mountain by 3:30pm for our hot beverage at the beer tent. 


My favorite was the The Olympian - hot cider with rum. By 5pm, when we were back to our room, we watched long jump practice on Howelsen Hill from our window, which neither of use had ever seen in person.


The town was pretty empty for the first few night, but then got packed because of the holiday. What holiday, you ask? That would be President's Day. I've never heard of people taking a long weekend for President's Day, but they sure do in Colorado because this town got busy.


I do have to tell you that I met my weakness on this trip. Sea Salt Caramel. That's right. My super hero weakness is sea salt caramel. Just like Superman can't jump tall buildings, or whatever, when exposed to kryptonite, I can't do anything when exposed to sea salt caramel except consume sea salt caramel. En masse. It's a good thing we were skiing down giant mountains all day or I would have gained a few sizes.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why didn't you tell me I looked like at dumba$$ in that helment??

Post a Comment