Friday, June 15, 2012

Old Lady Girl's Night Out

Last night, I went out for drinks and dinner with some girlfriends for a girl's night. It was an old lady girl's night out because, well, we're old ladies. Gone are the days when going out required no advance planning, late nights and late mornings as well as Nacogdoches cab rides where the creepy cab driver knows where we live and where he picked us up last.

What do I mean by that? Well, it was the first time in several months that I did anything like this, and the first time in many more months that I did something like this and had a drink. Also, the time at which I got home and the amount I drank was important because I had to schedule this outing around breast feeding. My friend Ashley drives over an hour to get to work and back, and a late night was not going to work for either of us. So we decided that Girl's Night should end at 8 pm.

8 pm.

It was so much fun. But like most outings I've been on (all three of them) since Charlie was born almost 2 months ago, It's hard to relax. I feel like I need to get in two months worth of girlie conversations, just like I felt like I needed to get in two months worth of dates when Preston and I went out to dinner a few weeks ago. It's impossible to fit all of that in to one night out. My brain filters through conversation ideas and responses faster than my mouth can get them out. I can't include everyone in one conversation, like I love to do, because I can only focus on one person at a time. This is just another area of life where I have consciously let go of any Type A personality tendencies, even if I wasn't aware of them before.

But while I can't be the leader of the conversation right now, at least I made it to the table. and at least I have some good friends that will put up with my craziness while I figure all of this grown up, old lady mom stuff out, even after getting tipsy after drinking only two (grand and amazing) bellinis, declaring a weekly girl's night that we would call Bellini Ba-Thursday instead of, you know, something obvious like the recommended Thirsty Thursday, and dramatically dropping (may also be described and accidental juggling?) my to go box in the parking lot.

What else happened? Well, obviously, I didn't drive home. So when Ashley pulled into my driveway right behind Preston and his parents, in his mom's car, I jumped out and said, "Did you drink too much to drive home, too?" Thankfully, he did not.

1 comments:

Erica said...

I guess I'm sort of at an advantage, seeing as how I'm already an old lady now!

Post a Comment