Starting a gluten free diet is daunting. It doesn't seem fair. But if you get through that first week or two (or three or four), it gets easier. Not just because it takes that long to change a habit, but because you are healing your body. But getting through that first week is hard. You probably have a headache. You might feel like you just can't get full. You WILL snack — a lot. BUT then this magical thing happens: That craving to eat all of the cake/waffles/buttered bread/fried chicken/candy/chocolate/ice cream?
IT GOES AWAY.
I've prepared a virtual starter kit to help get you through that time. I can find all of these foods at Kroger and Walmart in a small town, so you can find them, too.
If you want crackers: Nut Thins or Celery
These crackers really got me through that first week. The almond Nut-Thins have a neutral flavor, so you can eat them with flavorful gluten free dips, like hummus. The pecan Nut-Thins are good too, they have a stronger, nutty flavor, so eat them with bland dips, like whipped cream cheese.
Celery has that crispy crunch that reminds me of a cracker. I know, it's not the same, but if you are looking for a healthy option, celery is there for you. I cut mine into small, skinny sticks.

0 comments:
Post a Comment