Friday, September 24, 2010

A Postcard From the Rotation Diet


It's been one week so far, and things are definitely looking up.  Two days ago, I realized I could eat omelettes again.  Yesterday, I had a baked sweet potato with sauteed onions, bacon and chives.  Tonight,  I made stuffed bell peppers (stuffed with ground beef, spinach and chopped bell peppers) with a poblano mushroom sauce and cherry tomatoes and a side of roasted eggplant.  this is the first meal I ate that was pretty good, although the mushroom sauce doesn't look appetizing at all, it was good.

Pictured above, we have lentil soup (gross), squash with a pine nut crust, crab with edamame and spinach, chicken breast with okra and squash (I didn't eat the squash though, I wanted a second helping of the okra), broiled halibut with brussel sprouts (gross), omelette with oatmeal and cantaloupe (oatmeal sweetened with maple syrup and rhubarb jam), baked sweet potato with onions, bacon, chives and soy sour cream and a stuff pepper roasted with eggplant.

the only thing I've tried from the new cookbook was the rhubarb jam, which as I said before turned out more like baby food.  I think it has something to do with, well, the recipe, but also that I used frozen rhubarb rather than fresh.  Also, I'm freezing lots of leftovers and made a big pot of chicken with carrots, so I'll have lunch for day 3 for about a month.  

It's still challenging, but I think I have a more positive attitude.  Actually, I would describe this more as "realizing that it sucks, but accepting that it's something I have to do right now" and "finding new cooking options every time I make a meal."

This weekend, I'm planning to purchase some wheat substitutes and different types of oil (because I can't use olive oil everyday) and cook another dish from my book, most likely a dessert.

And I think I may be losing weight.  Although I did eat 5 pieces of bacon for dinner and a double order of sweet potato fries for lunch today.  I mean, come on, I think they get cancelled out with everything else that I'm not eating.

2 comments:

Chrissy said...

I'm glad the rotation journey is getting easier! Some of those recipes sound pretty tasty, and three cheers for omlettes! Also, I LOVE your header! It is so cute, and so are you!

Erica said...

You're so fun to read!
What was wrong with the lentil soup? I LOVE lentil soup!

Post a Comment