Yes, I'm in a cookbook club and it's awesome. Yes, I decided it was a good idea before I knew I needed to live in a bubble. No, I didn't drop out, and why should I? My version of the monthly recipe will probably not ever be the one that looks "the best", but they will look pretty good to me. And what better way to motivate myself than to try new dishes? So, I'm still in, and I'm in this month with Potato Leek Soup.
Now, having said that, I will let you in on a little secret. I didn't actually use the recipe. Why? Because the original recipe is Chicken and Rice Casserole from a Paula Dean cook book. I'm actually allergic to five out of the nine ingredients in Chicken and Rice Casserole, two of the being chicken and rice. And I'm probably allergic to Paula Dean, too. However, If this rotation diet does it's job, then maybe I can make chicken and rice casserole in a few months, maybe I can belatedly post my version on the Cookbook Club, wave my hands in the air and say "here I am! I finally made it... look at me go!" But if I ate Chicken and Rice Casserole now, I would become a hive. A big, red itchy hive.
Thankfully, The Cookbook Club offers an alternative recipe, and this month's alternative is Potato Leek Soup. But... after having shared THAT, I should tell you that I still didn't follow the recipe. I didn't even think to look at it. I just thought "look at all the vegetables I can have today!" Actually, the recipe does call for vegetable broth, and by using a million vegetables in my soup, I guess I just made my own.
Another thing, this soup is a splurge. Can you believe it? It's totally healthy, yet I consider it my splurge because it has so many different veggies in it. I won't be able to eat any of these things for another four days, but it was worth it. So worth it! I think what made it good was the goat cheese, but I think goat cheese makes anything good. I don't know, it may be too bland for the average person.
Rotation Diet Potato Leek Soup
( but also, a "what I had around the kitchen" soup)
Makes four 1.5 cup servings
2 potatoes, chopped
1 sweet potato, chopped
1 lb. bag of baby carrots, shredded in food processor
5 stalks of celery, chopped
8 mushrooms, shredded in food processor
3 cups chopped leeks (from frozen)
2 bay leaves
4 cups water
2 cups unsweetened soymilk
1 lb. ground buffalo
cumin, to taste
toppings: salt, avocado and goat cheese to taste
In large dutch oven, add potatoes, sweet potato, carrots, celery, mushrooms, leeks, bay leaves and water. simmer over medium heat for thirty minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Meanwhile, brown meat. add cumin to meat for flavor. Set aside. Remove bay leaves. Puree veggies and cooking water in blender (may need to be done in batches). return to pan. And soymilk. Spoon soup into bowls and top with ground buffalo, avocado and goat cheese. Sprinkle with sea salt.
So, can you see how I consider that "making my own veggie broth"?
Oh, and if you have bacon, preferably crumbled... add that.
3 comments:
You know what I hate? The fact that I have to buy THREE HUGE leeks every time I want to make something that has some leek in it. So thank you for this recipe - now I'll have something to turn to when I don't want that extra leek in the fridge to go to waste!
haha - me too! I chop it up and freeze it in 1 cup portions. I have like 5 cups of leek in my freezer.
Katie, can you link to this post on the linky link? Thanks!
Post a Comment