Monday, October 25, 2010

A Triathlon is a hard thing.

I always feel like the most unfit 
person at the triathlon party.

A triathlon is a hard thing.  Afterwards, while my fan base and I were on the way to eat a post race lunch at Los Cucos and I was covered in salt and sweat, moss and road dirt, I asked my mom, "Why did I do that?"

Why DID I do it?  How did I get into it?  I don't really know.  I think one day, while I was swimming laps, I had a conversation with this girl, she planted the thought in my head and it just started to grow.  I remember thinking 'wouldn't it be cool if I could do one of those triathlons?'  It wasn't until several months after the thought was there that I started telling people about it.  

It's the only reason I started cycling and the main reason I started trying to run.  It's definitely the only reason I began running outside.  It's the reason I looked for new weight training ideas instead of the same old ones and the only reason I started going to a nutritionist, to make sure I was eating enough to keep my body healthy.  

I guess I just needed this idea of a triathlon, something big and unattainable, to get myself going physically.   This was my second full race and I could definitely tell a difference.  Let's take a look.

Rose City Triathlon, August 2009
Swim: 650 m - 13 minutes / 2 min per 100 meter pace
Bike: 14 mi - 1 hour, 1 minute / 13.9 mph
Run: 3 mi - 38 minute / 12:35 per mile pace

Katy Triathlon, October 2010
Swim: 500 m - 9 minutes, 55 seconds / 1.91 min per 100 meter pace
Bike: 16 mi - 1 hour, 3 minutes / 15.2 mph pace
Run: 3 mi - 34 minutes / 11:27 per mile pace

So, I've taken about 9 seconds off my swim pace and over a minute off of my run pace in about one year.  I'm not so sure about the bike because the Rose City course was very hilly and the Katy Tri course was flat, but the others are pretty nice improvements.  Goooooooo me. 

See my race notes on Dailymile.  

5 comments:

Stephanie Y. said...

Awesome! Great race. You're really making me want to try this tri thing. I just need to find a good local race to sign up for...

Chrissy said...

Congratulations! You inspired me to give triathlons another tri. ;)

Stokat said...

You both should try them; it is really fulfilling. Probably more fun if you know someone there, otherwise you might end up just standing there awkwardly and getting nervous beforehand, like me. I did have more of a sense of accomplishment after these two triathlons than I did after the marathon relay I was in. But I will rethink that after the white rock half marathon in Dec. and get back to you.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Katie. I am so proud of you!
Mom

Erica said...

Wooooohooooo!!!

Post a Comment