There are a few things I'm glad I did during pregnancy, like taking the initiative to hire a trainer when I knew I wouldn't be motivated to workout and staying in touch with my friends rather than isolate myself in a pregnancy hole for nine months. But now that I'm nearing the end at 36 weeks, there are a few things I wish I would have tried to do differently.
Taken maternity photos during the second trimester
Around the fifth month, I decided I wanted maternity photos. I also decided to take them around 9 months to get the "full effect." This is a bad decision. First, I now know that I don't want to document the "full effect." I'm swollen up like a puffer fish so the cute maternity clothes I've worn for the past 7 months don't fit anymore. My hands are numb from swelling so I can't really style my hair, apply make up, pluck my eye brows or paint my nails or any other grooming activities you might do for a portrait. It's harder to move around because my knees, calves, ankles and feet will swell into one giant cylinder and I'll start having Braxton hicks contractions if I get tired, and they aren't the "Oh, look! I think was a Braxton hicks contraction. How exciting!" kind. They're the "So that's my breath out word" kind. And Carla, my extra chin, is much more prominent than she was in the second trimester. My aunt managed to snap a few good pictures of Preston and I last weekend, and I'm really thankful they turned out well. But if there is a next time, I'll be sure to do pictures during the second trimester.
Returned the maternity clothes that were too big
When I bought maternity clothes at 3 months, and they were too big but still really cute, I kept them, thinking I would wear them in the third trimester. Some of them were on sale and only cost maybe eight dollars, so no big deal. But a few were nicer shirts that I loved, and were thirty or forty dollars. And guess what? They're still too big. I also did this with some pants and jeans. You couldn't pay me to wear pants or jeans right now. I will only wear maternity yoga pants, dresses and a lose cotton skirt. So I don't really need the pants either. If there's a next time, I'll return those items or exchange them for the smaller size to wear at the time of purchase if I can't live without.
Requested that baby showers be held during the second trimester
I've always heard and thought that baby showers should be held as late as possible. I enjoyed all three of my showers and I am really thankful that I have friends and family that want to celebrate with me and Preston. But I remember worrying about swelling in my feet and being extremely tired after two showers at seven months, and during the shower at nine months, I had trouble opening gifts because my hands were numb and I was soaked in sweat. My swollen cylinder legs have taken two days to get back to almost normal and I woke up the next morning with my first ever pair of bags under my eyes (I only thought I had experience puffy eyes before - I was so wrong). Also, the sooner the showers, the more time you have to figure out what you still need to purchase. I wouldn't trade my showers for anything, but if you are given a choice, choose second trimester!
Maintained a few health measures
Everyone says this one, but I really do think I would be more comfortable right now if I had started out at a lower weight. There were some unavoidable health issues that caused me to gain weight right before we got pregnant, and I was more concerned with getting pregnant as soon as possible than getting back to a manageable weight before I got pregnant. I felt confident that I was at a manageable weight at the beginning, but not now. If there is a next time, a manageable starting weight will be a main focus for me. Also, I would have used a nasal rinse EVERY DAY, regardless if I was sick or had an allergy issue. I would also take an antihistamine starting in February, before the attack of the pollen, to prevent the crazy cold/infection I got mid March, as long as the doctor okayed it. Better yet, I wouldn't have messed up my allergy shots in the first month, because you can take them while pregnant unless you mess up the schedule. Then I might not have gotten sick at all!
1 comments:
I have the same worry about starting weight. I, too, gained a bit due to a couple of things. Hiring a trainer isn't really an option for me, so I've been doing my best to do what I can here and there. Still, starting out weighing less would have been soooo nice! I'm taking the rest of this blog as a list of tips to remember!
Post a Comment