Coffee for Royalty at the Beach City Grill. |
And by escapades, I mean Pres and I woke up before everyone else in Matt's apartment and rather than wake the seven other people up with our "vacation mentalities," we left to explore and consume on our own. We found the Beach City Grill, a bar/breakfast place that Pres remembered from his last visit. We were a few minutes early, so we took a drive around town, during which I realized that there is some kind of organized running race taking place today. I wanted to go find the start of the race and see what was going on, maybe stop and cheer for some people(yes, I realize that sounds dorky), but then I remembered that we are on vacation in Hawaii and there are better things to do! Back at the Beach City Grill, we got in some good breakfasting time while watching on TV the 2010 Nathan's hotdog eating contest. Thankfully, my back was to the TV.
Getting to Oahu was an adventure; I always forget how draining that day of travel is for us. Especially with my allergies; airplane food is not conducive to a no egg/dairy diet. I think the cart lady gave me like three bananas, two packets of baby carrots and several servings of juice(to go with my vodka!) on the plane. So when we landed, I got to the nearest hamburger and quickly remedied the problem.
We are staying with our friend Matt in Oahu for the 4th of July before we head over to Kauai tomorrow.
That's Matt. |
I highly recommend staying with friends at vacation destinations. Everything is already there, the place to stay, the friends, the fun plans. You don't have to try to meet people and make "couple dates" or go to an organized party with the "fanny pack people." Not that we would do that anyway... but there is this awesome feeling of being air-dropped into a party and all you have to bring is the fun (yes, I realize that was dorky too). Also, I feel almost like a local walking around here. Or maybe I don't feel like the locals are looking at me and thinking "stupid tourist, get off my island." My favorite part of this morning was the Thank You I got from the Hawaiian lady at the grocery store checkout counter after I bagged our own groceries. Sometimes, it's a good feeling not to be doted upon. (Don't quote me on that though!)
Last night, we went to "The Pub" with Matt, Kate (Matt's sister that is also visiting), Rachel (Matt's girlfriend) and one of Rachel's friends. I have no idea if "The Pub" is the real name of this place, but that's what Matt calls it. It's his place, not that he owns it, but he goes there a lot. Of course it was and Irish Pub. Somehow we always find one of those no matter where we are. Excellent burgers, excellent company. Back at Matt's apartment, Preston and I realized that we had been up and going for 24 hours. 24 HOURS! When we said that out loud, it was like my body said "Oh. Okay. I've done my job for the day. I think I'll shut down now."
| That's Me. |
The first thing we did after we got to Matt's Apartment was head over to Kailua beach. This is where we will spend the 4th of July, hopefully underneath the little shade tree, with some good company, good grilled food and good beer. We are looking forward to so much on this trip! And the best part is that I already have the "island mentality" which usually shows up around day four of a beach trip.
Good times ahead.
0 comments:
Post a Comment