Monday, July 5, 2010

On the way to Hanalei

We just landed in Kauai. Preston went to get the rental jeep (cuz that’s how we roll) and I am waiting with the bags, sitting across from a row of trees covered in coral blossoms. They look like giant bougan villas. Their skinny branches and leaves are dancing in the same wind that keeps blowing my hair in my face. The airport music is the traditional Hawaiian melody, and if I look to my right, I can see the straight deep blue edge of the ocean on the horizon.

Yesterday was a great beach day. Matt, Kate, Preston and I packed up our towels, iPods and grilling goods and headed to Kailua Bay around 11. Pres and Matt were dropping us off with the stuff so we wouldn’t have to carry it all so far when Kate and I saw an abandoned shopping cart on the side of the road. We knew we had a little way to walk along a street before we got to sand, so at the embarrassment of Preston and Matt, we turned it over, brushed it off and loaded a good amount of our stuff along with the grill into the cart. Magical! We parked it when we got to the sand, leaving it for the next person that had too much stuff to carry.

The day before, we had scouted out this beach and decided to get there early and snag one of the shady spots under a tree. We walked up just in time, claiming our spot shortly before another group of people that were eying our shade spot. Somehow, I still managed to get a sunburn, which is not a normal occurrence. It will probably be gone tomorrow, but for now, the 1/8 American Indian in me is sitting right on the surface.

Throughout the day, more and more people began to join our group. We hung out on the beach, grilled burgers and hot dogs, jumped the waves and enjoyed several fruity beverages. Preston and Matt insisted on listening to Texas Country music, so much so that I even got sick of it. As the sun started to set, the beach became more and more freckled with people gathering to watch the fireworks show. They shot fireworks over the ocean off a boat in the bay. It was hard for me not to say, “That was my favorite one!,” or, “Oh, I like the sparkly ones!”

We packed up this morning and said goodbye. I have to give props to the inter-island terminal… the restaurant there amended their breakfast burrito to include only ham and veggies, served with salsa, jalapenos and fresh avocado. I don’t know what’s with ESPN and eating contests… they were showing highlights from the 2010 Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest that we saw yesterday morning.

So from the airport, it probably takes about an hour to get to Hanalei. We have heard talk of a place that serves a frozen banana treat along the way… maybe that will show up on Katie’s Plate.

Kate, Matt's sister, took all of the 4th of July pictures with her fancy pants camera. As I have invited her to write a post for this blog, hopefully she will post some for you. If not, I will update with pictures as soon as I can.

That's Kate.

Matt got me Coco Loco Pina Colada mix, which is milk free! 
Oh, and I forgot a hair dryer, so I've been drying my hair 
with a large oscillating fan. Can you tell?

Preston and Matt on Matt's lanai (balcony).


0 comments:

Post a Comment