Saturday, August 21, 2010

Day 4 part 2: Place Vendome, the Opera and a Sparkling Eiffel tower

After the morning tour of Versailles, my mom and I were beat, so we took a rest for an hour or two at the hotel before heading out to a late lunch at Le Castiglione, right around the corner from our hotel.  Then we walked through Place Vendome on our way to the Opera.   



I'm sure many famously historic things have occurred in Place Vendome as it is land marked by a large green pillar with a little man perched on top, but the one that stole our interest was the signature Chanel store with the fabulously blue door.I did notice that in the made for TV movie, the store had steps leading up to the door.  There were no steps, but it was still neat to see, and I fit right in there too, being that I minored in fashion merchandising in college (but I don't tell many people that).   


Some people, and the Paris guide books, will tell you that the coolest thing about the Opera is the grand staircase.  This is incorrect, as it is marred by the hordes of people posing for pictures in the middle landing.


Rather, the coolest thing about the Opera was the modern painted ceiling in the performance room in the midst of all that old stuff.  Sometimes, Paris likes to throw a curve ball with something a little modern, like this painting, a Picasso statue on the sidewalk or the glass pyramid at the Louvre.  


After leaving the Opera, we did a little more meandering around the streets in Paris.  We stopped at a street crepe vendor and mom ordered a coke.  The man laughed and told us that we should say coca because coke means cocaine, which explained why she was getting some confused looks earlier in the week.  We ended up at corner near La Madeleine, which we had "Qu'est-ce que c'est?"-ed many times already.  It's a church.  We were so impressed by it because of the flights of red flowers out front, which don't appear as stunning in this image but in person, will take your breath away and make you feel as if you have just seen something really important.


It was a late dinner that night, around 10 pm, but we went to Cafe de l'Homme to watch the Eiffel tower sparkle.  It would be a great place to watch it from the outside patio, but we had to lean arond large columns and a large man statue, which explains the l'Homme... I was a little worried about going to a place called "The Man Cafe." 

2 comments:


Anonymous said...
It was such a nice surprise to stumble onto the Madeleine on foot after we wondered about it all week. I loved the Cafe l'Homme - the food was good and oh the views! I think the opera we went to was the Opera Garnier -- the Bastille was the great glass structure we kept wondering about. Check, I could be wrong.
Love, Mom
Erica said...
I didn't do/see any of these things while I was there. My to-do list for my future Paris trip (who knows when...) is growing!
Sounds like some funnn!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment