Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Pan fried Gnocchi with a creamy cashew sauce


I have to admit that I don't really know the proper way to pronounce the word gnocchi.  Pres thinks it should sound like a sneeze.  I pronounce the G, although I have an itchy feeling that it might be silent.

However you say it, gnocchi is my new best friend.  How have I never met this little potato dumpling  before?  I picked up the package at the store last weekend and saw that it didn't have dairy or eggs listed as an ingredient, so I tossed it in the cart.  Since it was made from potatoes, I was planning on using it as an easy dumpling for a chicken and dumplings dish.  Little did I know that gnocchi had other plans in store for me.  Pan fried plans.  

This was good as a main dish for two people.  It could also be used as a side dish for four people.

Pan fried gnocchi with a creamy cashew sauce

Ingredients:
1 package gnocchi
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/8 cup sun dried tomatoes
1 cup artichoke hearts
1/2 tsp. garlic powder, or 1 clove garlic minced
1 tbsp. fresh parsley
1 cup fresh tomatoes
2 cups fresh spinach
2 tbsp. sherry cooking wine
4 strips crispy bacon
1 tsp. flavored vinegar.  I used orange flavored vinegar from Texas Olive Ranch.
Seasoning of your choice. I used the all purpose seasoning I picked up from the Hanalei Dolphin Fish Market in Kauai last July. 

For Creamy Cashew Sauce:
1 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup Honey Roasted Cashews
Zest of one lemon
1 tsp. lemon juice


Over medium heat, add oil and raw gnocchi to pan.  cook for 3-4 minutes until golden brown.  Add sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, garlic, fresh parsley and seasoning.  Cook for 1 minute more.  Add cherry tomatoes and spinach.  Splash with sherry cooking wine.  Cooking until tomatoes are heated through and spinach is barely wilted into the dish.


In a blender, mix the ingredients for the creamy cashew sauce.  You need to have a super awesome blender to get this sauce smooth.  If you don't have one of those, I suggest omitting the mac nuts and using 1 and 1/4 cup cashews instead as well as using more lemon juice in place of lemon zest.  Veganyumyum.com suggests chopping the nuts in a food processor prior to putting them in the blender for a smoother texture.

This recipe was inspired by another dish that used a thyme vinaigrette, but I opted for an easier version with a splash of orange flavored vinegar.  drizzle sauce over gnocchi and sprinkle with chopped, crispy bacon.  Enjoy!

Inspired by two gnocchi dishes from veganyumyum.com:

3 comments:

Chrissy said...

This looks awesome! I love gnocchi (and it is pronounced no-key, emphasis on the no. Don't worry, I was saying ga-noch-key for a long, long time!). And I like all the changes you're making to your blog! So cute!

Stokat said...

I knew it was a silent G! Thanks, Chrissy! Obviously, I like your blog too.

Erica said...

I like gnocchi...sometimes. It's SO heavy, though, that I tend not to make it because I feel so bloated afterward. I mainly just order it if it's on the menu at a restaurant nowadays.

You guys are cute...pronouncing the G. Teehee!

Post a Comment