Rarely do I have all the ingredients for a soup recipe. I've made this tomato soup recipe twice so far and both times I've been missing an ingredient. But it seems that in my kitchen, the best soups happen through the substitutions I make due to my lack of ingredients and planning. The first round, I used okra when I didn't have celery and fresh parsley in place of basil. I added a little garlic and garlic powder, and it turned out wonderful. Sadly, today, I didn't have any parsley, but the soup is still good and easy to make.
The original recipe was found here. I made a vegan version. Of course, I'm sure it's better with cheese, real milk and butter. Most dishes are. But I think this dish shines without the real stuff. I served with slices of a multigrain baguette, brushed with olive oil and toasted. It would also be great served with roasted garlic. Very yum.
Ingredients:
- 4 tablespoons dairy free margarine (I use Fleischmann's Unsalted)
- 1 cup chopped okra (I used frozen chopped okra)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion (I used frozen chopped onions)
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 tsp. minced garlic, or more to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley leaves, or to taste (I like lots of parsley!)
- 2-3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (I used 2 tbsp. because the okra makes the mixture thicker)
- 3 cups soymilk (Unsweetened and/or Vanilla both taste good in this recipe)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white and/or black pepper
- 2 tsp. garlic powder, add more to taste
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained (you can get creative here. Today I used one can of stewed tomatoes and one can of fire roasted diced tomatoes)
Preparation:
In a large saucepan, heat margarine over medium-low heat. Add chopped okra, cook for two minutes before adding onion, garlic, parsley and celery; cook, stirring, until tender.
(For a smooth soup, remove vegetables to a food processor or blender and puree. You may need to add some of the milk to the mixture while pureeing. Place puree back in pan and continue). Stir flour into the vegetable mixture, stirring until well incorporated. Gradually stir in soymilk and add the sugar, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Continue to heat, stirring, until the mixture thickens and begins to boil.
Dice tomatoes smaller or puree in a blender or processor, if desired.
Heat tomatoes in a separate saucepan then gradually add them to the first mixture, stirring constantly. Serves 6.
For a good leftovers idea, see Sunny Side Up - an egg in effigy
0 comments:
Post a Comment