I'm still working on the never ending multigrain baguette. I've made french toast, and toast w/ olive oil to go with tomato soup, and accidental breadcrumbs/burnt toast for dinner tonight. This somewhat morbid yet delightful snack was inspired by my friend Erica's blog post on her cooking blog Happy Chappy Kitchens.
First, let me explain the name. I had a love affair with Eggs. It was much like a real relationship. You start out slow, maybe just as friends or with small talk and only a few dates here and there. Maybe you go out with a few friends in a big group. Then slowly, you get closer and spend more time together. And you discover different things about each other along the way. That was Eggs and me.
Eggs were around my whole life, scrambled mostly, but scattered with a few boiled for the holiday deviled eggs and the occasional tuna salad. Somewhere along the way, I decided that my favorite breakfast, ever ever in the world to this day, was two slices of toast, lightly toasted, with real butter and grape jelly, and 2 hard boiled eggs, sliced as thin as possible and covered with salt and pepper. I would put an egg slice on the toast and then take a bite.
When I traveled, I ate eggs every morning. I started making fried eggs, and slowly worked my way to over medium. Eggs and I were closer than ever before.
Then I got dumped. No more eggs. Not even a phone call. It was eggs that was responsible for my allergy symptoms all along - the hives, the bloating, the weight gain. All of it. Milk was in on it too, but me and Milk were never really that close. It was Eggs that betrayed me.
And so today, when I finished preparing this recipe and stood back to admire the fruits of my efforts, I laughed. It looks like eggs - sunny side up. So this is my revenge, except instead of burning the egg effigy, I ate it. Much more efficient.
Ingredients
Cheese spread
4 tbsp. Tofutti soy cream cheese
1 tbsp. dairy free butter
5 cashews, ground up fine in a food processor (you could substitute nutritional yeast here maybe)
Juice from one half lime, about 1 tbsp.
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. white pepper
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
Mix all ingredients together to taste. These measurements are estimates and you may be able to omit the butter, but I think it adds a little something.
Tomato soup leftovers (see recipe)
6 slices of multigrain baguette
Spray olive oil on baguette slices and toast lightly, cover with cheese spread. Top with tomato soup leftovers. (While I think this looks like eggs, Pres thinks it looks like bird poop. If you agree, then drizzle the tomato soup left overs.) I wish I had parsley; I would have chopped some in the food processor and and sprinkled on top, and probably mixed some in with the cheese... and in the tomato soup from last night. Blast you parsley for not being in my kitchen.
0 comments:
Post a Comment